Thursday, February 23, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Rag Wreath

Well, Valentine's Day is past, so it's time to start getting ready for St. Patrick's Day.  Previously, I've never decorated for the holiday because I figured that we're not Irish, so it doesn't really apply to us (though we still wear green and eat Corned Beef and Cabbage on the actual day).  However, last year at a family reunion, one my uncles, who is retired and widower, informed us after doing a lot of genealogy and family history that, among other things, we are descended from the Irish royal line.  Well, that's enough reason for me to jump on the green wagon (green happens to be my favorite color, so I'm super excited about a reason to decorate my house with green).

As usually happens, I was on Pinterest and saw this cute St. Patrick's Day Rag Wreath that The Magic of Ordingary Things made.  I was inspired to make my own (since I need a new wreath for my door...I can't keep my Valentine's Day one up all year, can I?).  I searched through my fabric scraps, but unfortunately, I didn't have a lot green (not enough variety for a rag wreath).  So, off to Hancock Fabric I went.  I got 1/4 yard each of 7 different fabrics to add to the 2 I already had at home for a total of 9 different patterns.  I cut the strips with my pinking shears (I didn't want to tear them) an inch apart (using the entire 9 inch width).  I ended up using 12 strips of each fabric.  I searched through my closet and found an old wire hanger, which I untwisted and shaped into a circle (I didn't measure the diameter, I just shaped it until I liked how it looked).  Then, I just tied each strip on until the circle was tightly filled.  Finally, I added a length of cute green polka dot ribbon (from Walmart) to hang it.  What do you think (I haven't decided yet if I like the length of my strips; 9 in may be too long, however, that is an easy fix)?

Supplies (plus I used ribbon)

My wire circle and a cut strip.  Just tie them right on.

The finished project up close

Another view of the finished wreath

1 comment:

  1. I like the length. Its super cute. I'm thinking I want to do this. Keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete