Thursday, February 6, 2014

Picture Timeline

I finally finished a wall in my bedroom. A few years ago, I bought a vinyl phrase, "For Time and All Eternity," but never put it up because we were renting apartments and I didn't want to put it up, just to take it down after a year or so and not be able to use it again. So now that we have our own house, it finally made it onto a wall. 

 photo DSC03246640x480_zps269cc4dd.jpg

Now for the picture timeline. I placed it centered below the vinyl phrase.  Here are the supplies you need: pictures, paper cutter, mini clothespins, paint, brushes, fishing line, clear pushpins, measuring tape, level, pencil, and scissors.

First, I picked out and printed some pictures that represent Dave and I's life from the time we met until now. Then I trimmed them using a paper cutter.

Next, I painted some mini clothespins the colors of my bedroom: black, yellow, white, and gray.

 photo DSC03251640x480_zps0fe46147.jpg

Then, I cut off a huge section of fishing line. I then clipped my photos to the fishing line with the clothespins.

 photo DSC03256640x480_zps10411833.jpg
 photo DSC03257640x480_zps310a51ff.jpg

Then I used a measuring tape, level, and pencil to figure out exactly where to place the pushpins (one below and to the left of the vinyl, one on the opposite side of the first pin, and one in between those two). Once I figured that out, I tied one end of the fishing line to a pushpin and put the pin in the wall on the first mark.  Then I put the other two pins in the wall. I draped the middle of the fishing line over the middle pin and then loosely tied the end to the other side pin with extra fishing line hanging off. That way I could figure out how low or high I wanted the dips to be before completely tying it off.  Just cut the extra fishing line off.

 photo DSC03259640x480_zps23105e7f.jpg

Last, I repeated the final steps again for a second row of photos and you're done.

 photo DSC03260640x480_zpsc1a4e7b9.jpg

I think if I did it over I would print the pictures all in black and white and use bigger clothespins.  But I still like how it turned out.  Oh and use an even number of pictures on each row.  I had 13 and it made it hard finding the middle because there was a picture in the way.

Also, someday, there will be a desk below the pictures for my sewing station.  

No comments:

Post a Comment